The Rotary Club of Burnside Inc.
VOLUNTEER OF THE PARKS PRESENTATION 3/06/18
Over forty people attended the 2018 Rotary Volunteer of Parks Awards Presentation Luncheon, held this year at the Hackney Hotel on Sunday, 3 June.
Rotarian, Dave Harrison, gave the Invocation and Loyal Toast and the President, Brett Dalton, introduced the guests and read out the apologies. The global
theme this year was ‘Making a Difference’, and Mr Dalton mentioned that a tree had been planted for every Rotarian, with this club planting over 300
trees around Tanunda.
Special welcome was made to:
- Hon Vickie Chapman MP, Deputy Premier and State Member for Bragg, Honorary Member Rotary Club of Burnside
- Brenton Grear, Regional, Director, Adelaide and Mount Lofty Ranges Region, representing John Schutz, Acting Chief Executive, Department for Environment
- Pam Smith, Grants and Volunteer Program Administration Officer, Volunteer Support Programs Unit, DEW, and her son, Josh
- Rotary District Governor Bob Cooper, and his wife Marilyn
- District Governor, Bob Cooper, gave a history of the awards.
The Deputy Premier, the Hon Vickie Chapman, addressed the gathering.
Brenton Grear, representing John Schutz (Acting Chief Executive, DEW), also gave a short address.
Mr Dalton then introduced the seven nominations for the Volunteers of the Parks Award, and read a summary of their achievements:
- Bobbie Wheatland – Friends of Protea and Michael Moran Reserve
- Heather Whiting – Co-ordinator Vale Park Our Patch Group
- Michael Turner – DEW Volunteer, Walking Trails Support Group
- Robert Geary – Friends of Ikara-Flinders Ranges National Park
- Dean and David Moseley – Friends of Simpson Desert Parks
- Shanelle Palmer – Friends of Cobbler Creek Recreation Park (in absentia)
- Stephen Rogers – Friends of Cobbler Creek Recreation Park
Brenton Grear then announced that Heather Whiting, Co-ordinator of the Vale Park Our Patch Group was the winner.
A plaque was presented by Rotary District Governor Bob Cooper, and Brenton Grear. Heather responded.
A framed certificate was presented to each nominee.
Brett Dalton gave the Vote of Thanks to:
- The Hackney Hotel - for a great meal and great assistance by staff
- Pam Smith and Tania Dalton for organising the event
- everyone for attending
Thank you to David Dewar, Editor, Director Vocation and Youth, Rotary Club of Burnside Inc., for the wonderful photographs which can be viewed at:
Please find attached the 2018 Nomination Forms and the Selection Criteria Forms for the Rotary Club of Burnside’s ‘Leadership in Conservation’ and
‘Volunteer of the Parks’ Awards.
Nomination forms need to be returned to Rotary, now extended to close on 28 April, 2018.
The awards will be presented at a luncheon to be held on 3 June at the Hackney Hotel.
Rotary Nomination Form - Leadership (1633 KB)
Rotary Nomination Form - Volunteer (256 KB)