A great opportunity to recruit new members, from all age groups and experience levels.
Both Friends of Parks Inc. and DEW are registered hosts for Centrelink programs,
i.e. ‘Work for the Dole’, ‘Over 50’s’, ‘Newstart’, etc.
What that means is that any group that may receive requests from individuals who are participants in any of these programs, can formally sign them up to work community hours (usually 15 hours a week), as part of their ‘mutual obligation’ requirement of receiving the Newstart allowance.
If you know of someone who might be interested in such an arrangement, you can approach them, and if they are interested, they then go back to Centrelink to get the appropriate forms for your signature, and Centrelink’s final approval – in other words you don’t have to wait to be approached, you can be pro-active if you wish.
If you do have someone wanting to undertake their ‘mutual obligation’ hours with your group:
- 1.let our Secretary, Pam Smith ( email@example.com ) know, so that she can provide you with the Friends of Parks Inc.
Centrelink registration (host) number.
- 2.Your group President/Secretary/Membership Officer can then fill in the documents from Centrelink, including the host
- number, and the person will be able to commence with your group.
- 3.You will probably need to ‘sign off’ on a work diary, so that the person can submit that as evidence to Centrelink. We will
- keep a register of those who have enrolled.
If you group already has its own Host number, can you please let Pam know, and the details of the person/s (name, address, start date), and your Host group number, for our records. There are several groups individually enrolled as Hosts under this scheme. Also, if your group already has some Centrelink participants, can you please let Pam know, for the records.
Duncan MacKenzie OAM
FRIENDS OF PARKS INC.