Waite Conservation Reserve
Originally used for timber, quarrying and horticulture, benefactor Peter Waite donated the land to the University of Adelaide in 1914 for agricultural research. In 1992 the area was set aside for conservation and later protected by a Heritage Agreement. The reserve protects a mixture of grey box, red gum, blue gum and drooping sheoak communities with 206 native plant species as well as echidnas, koalas, kangaroos, butterflies, reptiles and birds.
The reserve is best seen by taking the self-guided 4 km Waite Loop Walk. Pick up a guide at one of the entrances, either Hartley Grove, Urrbrae or Hillside Rd, Springfield. It provides directions as well as explaining the natural features of the reserve.Trail markers feature the Friends logo, the distinctive bright blue thistle-like flower of the Blue Devil (Eryngium ovinum) one of the threatened plants in this important woodland remnant.
Friends of Waite Conservation Reserve
The Friends group was formed in 2001 and warmly welcomes new members to participate in activities such as:
Working (walking) bees on the first Saturday and third Sunday of each month from April to December 9am – 12noon. Mostly involve weed management, especially pulling small olives as we walk.
Flora and fauna surveys.
AGM in May with excellent speakers.
Maintenance of walking tracks and signage.
For further information see www.waite.adelaide.edu.au/reserve/ or ring Peter Bird 0418 853 834
Secretary: Helen Pryor
Phone: 8313 7405 or 0418 853 834 (working bees)
The University of Adelaide – Waite Campus, PMB 1, Glen Osmond SA 5064